Millennials and the Internet
Millennials have a very unique relationship with the internet, as many spent the better part of their childhoods without it or with very limited, very slow dial up internet. Now in the age of the smart phone, its rare to see a millennial without some sort of internet connected device within arms reach at all times. It’s the last thing we see before we go to bed and the first thing we check when we wake up in the morning. Smart phones are making the internet not just a novelty, but a necessity.
Being part of the last generation to have lived without such easily accessible internet connection, millennials are now shaping the way the internet is being used. Simple things like looking up phone numbers, store hours or restaurant menus can now be done in seconds, questions can be answered and arguments settled. We know that life can be lived without this ease of garnering information, but now that all of these things and more are so easily accessible, it seems silly for people not be taking full advantage of what the internet can do.
Reasons why Millennials love the internet:
- Speed- Time is the most sought after commodity these days and the internet gets us the info we need, fast. No more flipping pages of the phone book, calling customer service at the pharmacy to refill prescriptions or driving to the bank to deposit checks. If something can be done quicker online, then we will absolutely do it.
- Ease- The internet is making everyday tasks not only quicker, but easier. Snapping a picture of both sides of my check is 10x easier then driving to the bank, filling out a deposit slip, remembering my bank account number, talking to a teller, receiving a current balance and driving back home.
- Entertainment- Millennials are a generation of makers. From YouTube videos to blogs to online games, we want to create, not just consume. The internet gives you the platform not only to learn how to do new things, but to also share those new things once you create them. No matter what you’re interested in, there is a place for you find like minded individuals who want to share and discuss your ideas.
- Connectivity- While we grow older, the world grows increasingly smaller. It is now equally as feasible to travel from the East Coast to the West Coast as it is from the East Coast to Europe or beyond. With exchange programs in high schools and colleges, study abroad, and internship programs, millennials are meeting people from across the country and around the world. The internet helps you stay in touch with people you’ve met, and helps you connect to your family and friends while you’re away. The internet connects you not only with people you’ve met, but people who share your interests, hobbies or professional goals. Dating services, social media platforms and professional networking sites connect you to people you would never normally meet in your everyday life.
- Quantifiability- People love knowing the impact of their actions. Whether it is seeing how many people like your Instagram picture or how many unique visitors you have on your website, millennials like to know the numbers. Internet marketing methods like Facebook Ads and Google Ad Words campaigns let you see exactly how many people you are influencing with the money you are spending. This direct relationship seems so much more useful than the speculation that occurs with other methods of advertising like print and radio ads. Millennials like to see exactly how they doing in real time, so they can change and adapt to reach their goals.
The internet is here to stay, and no one embraces that more than the millennials. While we have not always had unlimited access to the internet, now we can’t image a world without it. It is a tool that has immeasurable opportunities to inform and educate people.
What This Means for YOU:
- Utilize social media marketing and advertising. There are few things more powerful then a well placed, visually interesting Facebook or Instagram ad. If it takes a second to realize it is a paid advertisment and not just a friends post, I am exponentially more inclined to click on the link.
- Take full advantage of SEO and Google Adwords. No matter how stunning your website may be, if people cannot easily find it, they will never even get the chance to experience it.
- Make sure your site has a mobile version!! If a site loads as a tiny version of the desktop site on my phone, I automatically hit the back button and find a different site.
- Befriend your web designer/marketer. The internet is constantly changing and evolving, and if you have a personal connection with your designer/marketer, they are more likely to share new tips and trends and work with you to implement them on your site.